Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing,give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
2 Peter 1:5-9, “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.”
October 14, 2023, “Goodness”
What does it mean?
“All the goodness I have within me is totally from the Lord alone. When I sin, it is from me and is done on my own, but when I act righteously, it is wholly and completely of God. Grow in the root of all grace, which is faith. Believe God’s promises more firmly than ever.” Charles Spurgeon
“Man has two great spiritual needs. One is for forgiveness. The other is for goodness.” Billy Graham
Theologian, James Bryan Smith defines goodness as “that which works for the benefit or betterment of another.”
Verses about Goodness
Psalm 31:19, “Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!”
Psalm 107:8-9, “Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness.”
Proverbs 3:27. “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so.”
Prayer . . . Upward Worship.
- God, I praise you that you are abundant in goodness . . .
- God, I thank you for your wonderful works that you have stored up . . .
- God, I praise you that you satisfy my deepest longings . . .
- God, I praise you that you fill my soul with your goodness . . .
- God. I praise you for your goodness because . . .
Prayer . . . Inward Change.
- God, help me to fear you out of love and respect . . .
- God, help me to take refuge in you in the sight of my wife and family . . .
- God, help to be thankful for your goodness to me every day . . .
- God, help the longings and hunger of my heart be all about you . . .
- God, give me a heart of goodness because . . .
Prayer . . . Outward Actions.
- God, open my eyes to be good to those around me . . .
- God, help me to see those around me as your “children” . . .
- God, give me grace to be good those with whom it is easy . . .
- God, give me courage to be good those with whom it is hard . . .
- God, help me to be a man of goodness because . . .