1 Peter 1:1-2
“1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.”
● Gather in groups of four.
● Pray for the Holy Spirit’s leading as you discuss the passage and share together.
● What questions about the Bible Study SOAP method do you have?
● What was your biggest challenge in the process?
● Read the passage out loud.
● What new learning or reminder of truth stood out to you from this section?
● What questions about the passage do you still have?
● What personal applications did you create for yourself after reading this passage?
● In what sense are God’s elect exiles/strangers in this world? What makes them that way?
● Should living as astranger in this world be a goal for a Christian? Why or why not?
● When have you most felt like a stranger because of your faith?
● Peter briefly reviews our position in God in his opening greeting to the recipients of his letter. What is our position in God? How does each member of the trinity participate in our salvation process?
● Why might Peter open his letter describing his recipients’ position in God?
● When might it be beneficial to remind a fellow believer of their position in God?
● Pray for one another using this passage.